A beginners guide on how to install a WordPress plugin. Simple, uncomplicated and a step by step guide to help you master this everyday task.
Very early on when using WordPress you’ll find the need for plugins. In this guide we’ll show you how to install a WordPress plugin using the two most common methods.
What is a plugin and what do they do? Plugins are extensions to the basic WordPress content management system. They allow you to do much more with your WordPress website.
Method 1. How to install a WordPress plugin using the WordPress plugin installer
1. Hover over Plugins and select Add New.
2. You will be greeted with the following page. It will show featured plugins but allow you to sort by featured, popular, recommended and favourite. Feel free to explore the different filtering options or search for something else using the search bar to the right
3. Using the search bar search for Yoast. Yoast will appear in both the popular and recommended filters. Yoast is the most popular SEO plugin available on WordPress and will help you in your quest for traffic from Google. Once entered it will automatically begin searching for your keywords and show the results as shown below. On this screen you can click on the author name which will take you to their webite, click on the more details link which will open a popup with deatails about the plugin, screenshots, how to install and configure, reviews and links. For now click on the install now button. It will begin installing
4. Once it has installed the install button will change to a blue activate button as shown below. Click activate.
5. The plugin is now active and ready to configure.
Method 2. How to install a WordPress plugin from a zip file
At some point, you’ll find that you have purchased a premium plugin and will need to install it on your website. Premium plugins need to be installed a different way as they are not hosted on the WordPress plugin repository. Thankfully, installing plugins from a zip file is easy.
1. Download the plugin file from the download area off the site you purchased the plugin from
2. Hover over Plugins and select Add New.
3. You will be greeted with the following page. Instead of searching click on the upload plugin button at the top left next to the Add plugin text. The page will not reload
4. You will be greeted with the below screen. Select the downloaded plugin zip file and click install now
5. the plugin will upload and install. Once it has finished it will load the page as shown below. Click activate plugin
You have just successfully installed and activated a plugin. Now all that is left is the configuration of the plugin settings. As each plugin is different you will need to consult the plugin documentation to configure the plugin correctly.
if you happen to get an error stating that no plugin file exists this is an easy fix. Sometimes plugin authors will add the plugin zip file inside a folder which is then zipped during upload. Getting to the corect plugin zip file is easy.
- On a PC unzip the downloaded zip file
- Open the folder of the extracted zip file
- Begin searching through the few folders until you come across a zip file with the name of the plugin.
- Upload this zip file using the method above
Once you have managed to install plugins using both methods you have successfully covered our guide on how to install a WordPress plugin for beginners.
Explore a world of amazing plugins at the following two websites